Avila Downtown Centre is a re-imagining of Avila Beach, an unincorporated beach community in California's central coast region, and a demonstration of what community based planning can look like in even the smallest of communities. Starting with an underutilized public parking lot a block away from the Pacific Ocean; the Centre project takes community desire for an upgraded marine research facility, walkable streets, additional housing, etc. and transforms it into mixed use hub designed for contemporary seaside living.
Credit: Justin Frentzel, Priit Kaskla, Julia Cannata
- Pedestrian & cyclist tunnel connecting the heart of Avila Beach to the Bob Jones Trail
- New Marine Research Facility/Aquarium upgrading existing facilities in Avila Beach
- Fully outfitted grocery facility for serving residents
- Dedicated gallery space for showcasing local artistry
- 84,000 SF of mixed use structures, including 30+ residential units
- 300+ parking spaces to mitigate traffic impact